It is natural to feel down once in a while but if these blues do not seem to be leaving and it is starting to affect your general function, then maybe it is depression that you are suffering from. In today’s time, depression is one of the most common mental disorders. It is found in both adults and teenagers and a matter of growing concern. It gets harder to work and go about your life when you are constantly weighed down by the feeling of sadness and a lack of interest in everything.
Understanding What Is Not Depression
It should be taken into account that temporary mood fluctuations do not classify as depression. Sadness is a human emotion; it is a response to undesirable events and is not necessarily harmful. It is only when that it persists for a long time and has adverse effects on a person, physically or psychologically that you need to put your foot down and seek help.
Here are some of the most common symptoms associated with depression –
- A constant feeling of tiredness
- There is a significant fall in your interest towards things that you used to enjoy. There is loss of libido as well
- You either have problem falling asleep or you sleep a lot, these conditions are insomnia and hypersomnia respectively
- You are not able to concentrate on things and suffer from memory problems like forgetfulness and confusion. Depression is often associated with short-term memory loss
- A feeling of restlessness and anxiety
- Inability to make decisions
- Suicidal thoughts and attempt at suicide
Things and Life Events That Can Cause Depression
There can be many causes of depression and some people have a higher chance of getting depression than other.
- Some life events like divorce, the death of a loved one, medical concerns or stress due to studies or work can cause depression in adults and teenagers alike.
- Traumatic events in childhood are a very common thing among depressed people.
- People who have had a depressive episode earlier in life are at a higher risk of suffering from the same than someone who hasn’t experienced this before.
- Drug abuse has a strong link with depression.
- Alcohol is a patron of depression as well.
Ayurvedic Viewpoint Regarding Depression
Ayurveda claims that depression is caused due to the imbalance in psychic energies such as sattva, rajas, and tamas along with an imbalance in physical energies like Vata, pitta, and Kapha. Thinking negative thoughts all the time and a lack of mental discipline can cause an imbalance in your energies thus causing depression.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Depression
Unlike other branches of medicine, Ayurveda stresses on natural remedies for depression. It persuades people to strengthen the mind, undergoes therapies and has a change in lifestyle to effectively counter depression. Here are some of the things you might try for a better lifestyle.
- As the old saying goes, early to bed and early to rise, makes a person healthy, wealthy and wise. It is seen that going to bed early, waking up early and doing physical exercise has a profound positive effect on the body.
- Meditation is your ally in keeping a healthy mind. The more peaceful your mind feels, the more stable your energies are.
- It cannot be stressed enough what wonders a good diet can have on defeating depression. Eat a balanced diet of fresh and seasonal fruits and vegetables. Avoid alcohol and smoking. Eat your food in a fixed time.
- Read thought provoking books and listen to good music. Your mind will feel refreshed and happy.