Calcium Carbonate otherwise known as or Cal Carb, Calcium Carbonate, Oyster Shell, Mother of Pearl or Carbonate of Limeis is the mineral that all sea shells are made of, and is not too different from the calcium in human bones. The homeopathic remedy is made only from Oyster shell with the mother-of-pearl removed. They are then triturated with lactose sugar and what remains after the thorough and very careful preparation is calc carb.
Its chief action is cantered in the vegetative sphere, impaired nutrition being the keynote of its action. It is very often used to treat the symptoms of depression and hypothyroidism.
The profile of the Calc Carb person will be the shy and sensitive type. These people are rather contemplative in nature but have an easily agitated side to them. They will become excitable in the face of cruelty as they have no tolerance for it. They tend to be forgetful in nature and often lack energy, and may even come across as clumsy. They rely on security quite heavily throughout their daily lives.
Calcarea Carbonica is indicated for people who suffer from anxiety and phobias. The following symptom are often treated with the remedy fear of failure, restlessness, anxiety, night sweats, obsessive or compulsive behaviour or related feelings and emotions, acute or chronic disturbances in sleep, forgetfulness, confusion, low-spirit.They tend to be worry warts and need constant reassurance and often drive their close friends and family to distraction by talking too much about their problems and concerns.
When ill they can become extremely lethargic and tend to self pity. The smallest exertion can leave them weak often close to collapse. They cannot stand the cold but if they overheat just a little it enervates them to the point that they must rest.
Calcarea Carbonica can be taken whenever there is a lack of Calcium in the body and one of the chief indications is Discharges that smell sour.
Apart from emotional symptoms this homeopathic remedy is often used to treat a variety of other problems including.
- Stomach acidity
- Menopause – helpful to a woman with heavy flooding, night sweats and flushing (despite a general chilliness), as well as weight gain during menopause.Bronchitis – especially after a cold. The cough can be troublesome and tickling, worse from lying down or stooping forward, worse from getting cold, and worse at night.
- Pituitary and thyroid dysfunction
- Constipation – often feel more stable when constipated, and experience discomfort and fatigue when the bowels have moved
- Eczema – suited to people who are chilly with clammy hands and feet, and tend to develop eczema and cracking skin that is worse in the wintertime.
- ear infections that result in discharge that is sour in smell
- Eye infections
- Gallstones – the abdomen may feel swollen on the right and be very sensitive to pressure, with cutting pains that extend to the chest and are worse from stooping
- Backache – useful for low back pain and muscle weakness, especially in a person who is chilly, flabby or overweight, and easily tired by exertion
- Joint or bone pain
- Fractures that are slow-healing
- Some digestive problems
- Slow bone or teeth development.
- During periods of physical exertion
- Mouth ulcers – when infants and small children have recurring canker sores
- Thrush – this remedy is indicated, burning and itching feelings may occur both before and after the menstrual period. Discharge from vaginitis is milky and acrid or thick and yellow.
- Acne -with frequent pimples and skin eruptions is chilly with clammy hands and feet, easily tired by exertion, and flabby or overweight
- Varicose veins – veins that hurt while the person is standing or walking may respond to this remedy.
Factors/Conditions that make the symptoms worse
- Climbing stairs or hills
- Before menstruating
Factors/Conditions that improve symptoms include
- Dry Weather
- Mid day
Calcarea Carbonica is sometimes used in combination with other homeopathic remedies or in herbal tinctures to produce the desired effect.